Sunday 23 December 2012

A lovely letter from Maurice Boyce (Ex Spring Grove Primary School) in Sydney

Thank you Maurice and best wishes to you and Ruth and your families too.

Dear John & Mei,


I have just received your latest post regarding causes of death in NZ, it seems like the publicity and sensationalism of a shark death is in inverse proportion to the real statistics. I understand that a shark has been seen near Tahuna Beach and is causing a real panic. I think there are only 4 shark deaths be year here in Australia but they are always headline news, likewise I understand that deaths by snakebite here are exceptionally rare also.

John thank you again for all of your interesting posts in the past year, they are really appreciated. I have learnt a lot about your family, Mei's family, your days in the NZ Navy and ongoing Naval life not to mention my increased understanding of life in modern China. Ancient or modern it is certainly a most fascinating place with so much to see. I found your Currin family history posts very interesting. As for your comments on the weather, did you say feels like minus 28 deg, hmmm, it is plus 28 here today in Sydney and 38 degrees in the western suburbs and Melbourne is having 40 deg with a total fire ban! We see a lot of news items  from North Asia on the TV news, mainly  Korea, everyone is just so wrapped up.

Quickly looking back at 2012 it has been a very difficult year here for us, mainly due to Ruth's ongoing medical problems, it is a challenging and full time job for me doing home nursing duties. I try to make the best of  what is an unfortunate situation. Our big event of course was the birth of our first great grandchild, he is doing fine and he is now almost 4 months old.

We have no special plans for Christmas, I have put up the decorations, bought some nice things for Ruth and a few goodies and that is about all for this year. I would like to go down the coast or even visit the children but at present Ruth is just not well enough to travel unless absolutely. I will keep this short as I need to go and attend to Ruth's needs, medications etc. I just want to say a happy Christmas to to you both and a have wonderful New Year (Western & Chinese)

All the very best

No comments:

Post a Comment